Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:38:10PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2004 15.35, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > we don't exactly have a strong history of being able to pull off
> > timely releases
>
> Did Debian even try?

No, not since I've been around.

> I didn't follow the woody release too closely, being a Debian newbie at the
> time, so I don't know.  But - this was my impression - from the start,
> sarge was prepared with the 'we release when we're ready' idea, which makes
> everybody feel that they have more than enough time.

Yup.  There's never been a sense of urgency.  The RM's throw out release
dates and goals every once in a while, but no one seems to take those
seriously.  And probably for good reason.  For the second straight
release, when we've gotten to a point that it seemed we were nearly
ready for a release, we then discover we have no security autobuilders.
The release then gets pushed back a few more months, while the plebeian
developers sit around twiddling their thumbs unable to help wondering
why the hell no one thought to set up the autobuilders in the 2+ years
we've been preparing a release.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!