Re: package rejection

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 06:51:23PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Friday 03 December 2004 16:19, Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com>
> wrote:
> > 2) can not be sexist
>
> Bad idea.  We should avoid subjective criteria.
>
> > 3) has to be able to be mirrored by all mirrors based on the laws of the
> > location of the server
>
> Bad idea.  Some countries have stupid laws and we should not pander to them.
> There are laws against encryption and against reverse engineering (which
> could get strace, ltrace, and gdb).
>
> > 4) can not offend someone's religion
>
> Even if they are of the church of emacs?
>
> > 5) must be able to be installed by minors
>
> What age is a "minor"?  What things is a minor not permitted to see?  That
> seems more of an issue for their parents to determine rather than Debian.
>
> > 6) can not be off-color sexually or culturally
>
> Again it's a subjective criteria.
>
> > does it have to pass all of these, all the time?
>
> How about you go off and create a distribution that panders to all the silly
> ideas.  The rest of us will keep making Debian usable.
>
> A distribution with no crypto, no debugging tools, and nothing that might
> possibly offend (think about "killing child processes", the "mount" command,
> etc) is not going to be of much use to anyone.

Hi Russell,
/I/ have no objection to the package. I was wondering if anything in
policy dictates anything. Someone said 'ask the ftp masters'. Well do
they follow any policy? Does Debian --in anyway-- try to help people
from being sued? Should it? Like 'approved' mirror lists maintaied by
mirror and or the related hosting co's -- so they cant be sued? All that
needs to is SOME process to clear the air of all the FUD and
ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative talk.
- -kev

- --
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||