Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx (Brian M. Carlson) schrieb:
>
>> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

>>> I recommend not filing bugs on documentation until after sarge. The
>>> project agreed by vote that it was not to be considered release-critical
>>> for sarge, so, given that your bugs suggest some highly invasive
>>> solutions, why be unnecessarily disruptive now?
>>
>> I disagree with this conclusion.  As to the fact that the bugs suggest
>> "highly invasive solutions", well, there really isn't a non-invasive
>> solution, as much as I would like one.
>
> Have I missed something? Have we heard anything definitive from the FSF
> about their will to (not) change the GFDL? Or have we decided to take
> their silence as talking?

If you look at Manoj's position statement, it contains references to
RMS' unwillingness to change it.  However, if RMS changes his mind, or
individual developers decide to relicense (if they can do that; I
haven't seen the copyright assignments) then I have no objection.

> I agree with you that the GFDL is non-free, but I still hope there are
> different ways to resolve this than removing documentation.

I agree.  If people want to relicense, I'm all for it.  I wrote a
manpage under the GFDL 1.1 some time ago, and relicensed it when the
whole issue came up (actually, I did a blanket relicensing, but that
was the only document I've ever created under the GFDL).

>> Here's what I'm going to do as a compromise; please note that I am
>> trying very hard to be reasonable: I will file bugs on those packages
>> with incorrect or incomplete copyright files that are not frozen
>> (priorities optional and extra) because these are release critical
>> according to release policy.  The remainder of the bugs will go onto a
>> web page to be announced (so that maintainers can check if their
>> packages are affected) and will be filed as soon as the release
>> happens.  I will ping debian-devel once more with a notice once sarge
>> is released; this way, noone can claim they weren't notified of the
>> mass-filing.  Is this okay?
>
> I think this is a good approach. An even better approach would be to use
> your time for fixing RC bugs that do affect sarge.

As I have responded to Colin Watson, I will go ahead and wait until
after sarge to file bugs.  This way, nobody can complain that I am
holding up sarge.  I will instead spend my time fixing bugs on
manpages-dev, which I realize is already frozen, but it's something I
enjoy doing to help Debian.