Re: Introducing pmount in Debian / New plugdev group

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:07:12AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Paul Hampson [2004-11-11 10:03 +1100]:
> > But don't CD-ROM and floppy devices also need the same sort of pmount
> > support you're proposing here? After all, you can hot-swap the media in
> > them, so it seems reasonable to me that they can be pmounted? What's the
> > rationale for _not_ including these in the pmount infrastructure you're
> > proposing?

> CD-ROMs are fully supported by pmount; hal runs in both floppy and
> cdrom group as well, so that media check and file system detection
> works.

> The only problem are floppies, because there is no sysfs entry for the
> floppy device. That means that pmount cannot currently decide that
> /dev/fd0 is removable and will refuse to mount it.  However, this is
> not a big practical problem since legacy floppies are usually present
> in /etc/fstab. If a device is already in fstab, pmount <device>
> behaves _exactly_ like mount <device>. This fallback allows to use
> pmount as a complete replacement of mount in e. g.
> gnome-volume-manager.

> Maybe there is a misunderstanding here: pmount itself does not care
> about the group of a device. pmount decides whether or not the user is
> allowed to mount a device by looking at sysfs, not at device
> permissions.

Ah, thankyou. I did indeed have it ass-backwards. >_<

_That_ way 'round, I like it. ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.