Re: NMU on sysklogd

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 09:02 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Jerome Warnier]
> > So what? Am I stuck with my problem like so many people are already? And
> > a "friendly" takeover of the package?
>
> I suspect you will discover and get stuck in the power games in Debian.
I always found that funny, but I know the game. ;-)

> > I already have to problem on at least 4 machines, with things as
> > POP-before-SMTP and log analysers, packaged in Debian.
>
> I would recommend changing to another syslogd.  There are several, and
> you could switch to one with a closer match to your needs.
Well, I already tried others, but they have more dependencies or are
more difficult to configure to do what I want. And sysklogd is in
section "base", so in my point of view, it should just _work_ out of the
box. Moreover it is the default syslogd installed for now.

In fact, I dug into the problem, and found that the initscript
(/etc/cron.daily/sysklogd) had a 'reload-or-restart' argument, which is
used by the cronjob and does not always work (in my case, on several
machines, never) nor do the restart one (I'm not sure anymore I tried
it, though). So, I replaced the last line:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd reload-or-restart > /dev/null
with:
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid` > /dev/null

One more thing to say: because of this bug (#275111), the logs do not
get rotated right, which can cause big trouble on heavily-loaded servers
(or using Quagga, which generates a lot of messages because of failed
communication with SNMP, but that's another story).

--
Jerome Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>
BeezNest s.a r.l.