Re: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 19:53 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

paddy wrote:

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:28:14AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:02:02PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

5)==

User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the user's
home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a "dot file"). If
an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
directory"). In this case the configuration files should not start with the '.'
character.
	I have no idea if we comply, but this is a new requirement.

I think we do. This is common sense anyway, most applications I've seen
do it that way.

what about ~/Desktop and friends?

I don't know if Desktop falls under the heading of being a configuration
file or directorty. Not that I much like that directory, but like
Maildir, it seems out of the scope of this FHS requirement.

Is ~/Desktop a "User specific configuration files for applications"?

Doesn't seem like it to me.  It and ~/Maildir are data directories.

pretzalz@Pretzalz:~$ ll Desktop
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pretzalz pretzalz 29 Dec 30 2003 Desktop -> /home/pretzalz/.gnome-desktop

Seems an almost implicit admission that Desktop is wrong. If I really wanted that symlink I could make it myself. And I don't use it but I thought .gnome-desktop/Desktop is where you configure via symlinks what you want to show up on your desktop.