Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

Hi,

        I have been trying to determin the changes in FHS 2.3 (as
 opposed to FHS 2.1 that we already follow) to see what changes have
 occurred.

1) ===
 FHS 2.3 adds:
 3.3: Specific Options

The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be in /, if
the corresponding subsystem is installed:

Directory                      Description
home      User home directories (optional)
lib<qual> Alternate format essential shared libraries (optional)
root      Home directory for the root user (optional)

Each directory listed above is specified in detail in separate subsections
below.

	We comply.

2)==

	In /bin, /bin/ed is no longer mandated,  however,
	/bin/hostname is. (We comply).

3) ==

   Language related to /bin/sh was cleaned up. Mention of Csh
   removed. [ and test must be in the same dir now.   (We comply).

 4)==

 Added optional dirs /etc/sgml and /etc/xml. The number of mandatory
 files in /etc has dropped. (We comply). It does, however, seem to say
 we need /etc/X11/XF86Config instead of our XF86Config-4, and want
 /etc/X11/Xmodmap  (optional, thank goodness).

	********************************NOT COMPLIANT*************

 5)==

User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the user's
home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a "dot file"). If
an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
directory"). In this case the configuration files should not start with the '.'
character.

	I have no idea if we comply, but this is a new requirement.

????????????????????????????????dunno????????????????????

 6)==

 Allows stuff like /lib64 or the like. /media is added as mount
 points -- stuff that used to go under /mnt, which is still
 retained. There a re a number of required subdirectories under
 /media, which we don't have. Also, /srv should exist.

	********************************NOT COMPLIANT*************

7)==

     /usr/local/etc may be a link to /etc/local,
     /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime has been moved here from /etc

	So, we have a few minor things to tweak (/media, /srv, and the
 XF86Config stuff, and then we should be OK to move to FHS 2.3 in
 Etch.

	Unless, of course, there are things I missed.

	manoj

--
A gen'ral sets his army in array In vain, unless he fight and win the
day.  -- Denham