Re: software updates file in /usr -- policy bug?

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:28:26AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach paddy <paddy@panici.net> [2004.10.26.2114 +0200]:
> > What software writes to /usr ?
>
> As noted in the OP, apt-spy, pciutils, and probably others.

My apologies, I only just got that post today!

I dived in a little early, but I've read that and #277816,
so I may as well throw in my twopenneth:

IMHO, The FHS is a little fuzzy on /usr/share:

  Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't
  need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share

In any case, I imagine wanting to support the degenerate case of
/usr/share on a /usr filesystem mounted ro.

I have sympathy with 'the administrator does it'.  And I believe in
supplying the best possible tools for the administrator.

By default, data which might otherwise live under /usr, but is
moved out because it is variable, would go to /var somewhere
(or a better place if one exists).

So the question must be:

  What use is served by keeping this data in /usr/share?

I'd also question whether this data is truly 'not host specific'.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall