Re: software updates file in /usr -- policy bug?

also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2004.10.26.1916 +0200]:
> > Lastly, the policy promises that /usr can be read-only and
> > guarantees software to be fully functional.
>
> Now, where is the possible policy bug?

Section 9.1.1 of the policy. The software writes to /usr, which is
to be treated as read-only at any time other than package
management. Thus, effectively, dpkg is the only tool allowed to
manipulate files in /usr, though other tools are used from time to
time (e.g. ln(1)), but only during installation or removal of the
owner package.

`. `'`