software updates file in /usr -- policy bug?

Hi all,

apt-spy and pciutils (and possibly others) contain methods to update
a database integral to their operation.

  - `apt-spy update` downloads the list of available Debian mirrors
    to /usr/share/apt-spy (see #277816).

  - `update-pciids` downloads a new /usr/share/misc/pci.ids

I think these are both in violation with the FHS, which states
(Chapter 4, emphasis mine, using caps instead of asterisks for
readability):

  "/usr is shareable, READ-ONLY DATA. That means that /usr should be
  shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and MUST NOT BE
  WRITTEN TO."

The apt-apy maintainer thinks this is okay because (from the bug
report):

  apt-spy does not "dynamically update".  It updates *if and ONLY
  if* you ask it to.  I do not see this as a violation of the spirit
  of the FHS.  I'm more than happy to have discussion about this.

If this holds, then why does `apt-get update` modify files in
/var/lib/apt/lists, and why is /var/lib/dpkg/status not really
/usr/lib/dpkg/status?

Well, two wrongs don't make a right, nor does APT/dpkg's choice for
/var make using /usr for changeable resource data wrong for
everyone, but I still think that apt-spy's mirror list and the PCI
IDs should be kept in /var, since they are variable data.

Looking forward to comments!

`. `'`