Re: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the user's
> home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a "dot file"). If
> an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
> placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
> directory"). In this case the configuration files should not start with the '.'
> character.
>
> 	I have no idea if we comply, but this is a new requirement.

A few things that come to mind are:

 - gnome: .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gnome-private all in my
   home directory, some are used by multiple apps. Maybe this squeaks by
   since there are subdirs, not files?
 - WindowMaker: ~/GNUStep is not a dot file (can be made to use
   something starting with a dot, via an environment variabe)
 - offlineimap (.offlineimaprc, .offlineimaprc.py, .offlineimap/)
 - X (.Xauthority, .xinitrc, .xsession, .xsession-errors,
   .Xresources, .Xmodmap, etc) But perhaps X is more than one
   "application", dunno.
 - CVS (.cvsrc, .cvspass)
 - scummvm (.svummvmrc and .scummvm/)
 - vim (.viminfo, .vimrc, maybe .vim/)
 - zsh (.zcompdump, .zlogin, .zshenv, .zshrc)
 - ion2 (.ion2/.welcome_msg_displayed ; the filename should not start
   with a dot in order to comply)

> ????????????????????????????????dunno????????????????????
>
>  6)==
>
>  Allows stuff like /lib64 or the like. /media is added as mount
>  points -- stuff that used to go under /mnt, which is still
>  retained. There a re a number of required subdirectories under
>  /media, which we don't have. Also, /srv should exist.
>
> 	********************************NOT COMPLIANT*************

Note that new sarge installs should be basically /media compliant,
although I don't know if we have every subdir the FHS may require in
there. And we still have a /cdrom link to /media since some programs
(like apt) have not transitioned.

I don't belive it's possible to safely automate an upgrade of an
installed system to use /media.

/srv exists on new installs, may not be added on upgrade (I forget).
Is not used by anything yet AFAIK.

--
see shy jo