Re: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:02:02PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >  5)==
 >
 > User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the
 > user's home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a
 > "dot file"). If an application needs to create more than one dot file
 > then they should be placed in a subdirectory with a name starting
 > with a '.' character, (a "dot directory"). In this case the
 > configuration files should not start with the '.' character.
 >
 > 	I have no idea if we comply, but this is a new requirement.

 Holy...  and that's the area of FHS... how?

 First, does every single package have to comply with this?

 Off the top of my head:

    * aspell stores user's dictionaries in ~/, and it store several
      files per languaje.
    * bash reads and writes a number of files in ~/ (.bash_profile,
      .bashrc, .bash_history)
    * there are several directories related to GNOME (at least ~/.gnome2
      and ~/.gnome2_private)
    * vim has ~/.vimrc, ~/.viminfo (configure IIRC), ~/.vim/
    * Window Maker stores its configuration across several files and
      directories under ~/GNUstep (configurable) (and no, I won't change
      the default because it's configurable via an environment variable)

 > 	So, we have a few minor things to tweak (/media, /srv, and the
 >  XF86Config stuff, and then we should be OK to move to FHS 2.3 in
 >  Etch.

 Isn't the configuration file used by the X.org server called something
 else? (It's rather silly to hardcode the name of a configuration file
 used by a specific vendor)

 Marcelo