Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:27:25PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Wesley W. Terpstra dijo [Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:59:36PM +0200]:
> > At this point my question is only academic; the pure-gcc in main,
> > icc-prebuilt in contrib solution seems to solve my concerns just as well.
>
> I have only one concern with this: What happens if you drop the
> package and someone else takes it? He will no longer be able to
> compile it with icc, and the icc-prebuilt users will be left out in
> the cold. What would you say to that?

He can upload a version to contrib which depends on the version in main and
has no contents. Then the icc users are automatically converted to gcc.

Or else, if he is an open-source developer who makes no money from his
debian work, he can download icc from their site for free.
Just universities and paid researchers like me have to pay. Sniff.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra