Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:20:51 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> said:
>
>> Debian developers, on the contrary, run unstable and rarely run
>> testing, which means that they don't really know about the shape of
>> what they release.
>
> 	The reason I run unstable is because tat is where I upload
>  to -- and that is where the shared libs are that my packages use, and
>  that is where I work out the bugs experienced. However, testing does
>  not seem to be too far off from unstable in the packages I use a
>  lot.

There are package that never enter testing and nobody notice because
everyone use unstable (sometimes because of buggy dependencies).

>> The Testing distribution helped a lot in release
>> management, especially for synchronizing architectures.  Some
>> improvements have already been proposed by Eduard Bloch and Adrian
>> Bunk: freezing unstable while keeping testing.  Freezing unstable
>> forces people to work on fixing bugs, and the quicker the bugs are
>> fixed, the quicker the distribution is released and the quicker
>
> 	This is a fallacy.  In the past, when we did freeze unstable,
>  it never forced me to do anything but twidle my thumbs for months
>  until things got moving again. The reason that freezing unstable did
>  not make me fix any more bugs, since the bugs were not in packages I
>  was in any way an expert in.
>
> 	Freezes just used to be a frustrating, prolonged period in
>  which I did no Debian work at all, waiting for unstable to thaw back
>  out.

Because you always took properly care of your packages. It wouldn't
be necessary if everyone fixes bugs in packages ones maintain.

cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org