Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:04:41 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>>> What do you think we'd get by combining both (testing + unstable
>>> freeze)?
>>
>> If you freeze unstable anyway, you are blocking the updates -- and
>> thus have all the problems of this style of interrupted
>> development. If unstable is frozen, what is the point of Testing?

> Testing scripts are a gatekeeper against mistakes from unstable.
> Upload debian-specific changes to unstable doesn't necessarily mean
> there won't be side effects that shall not enter testing.

	Why not just leave freeze testing, and create an
 ultra-pending-release frozen candidate branch which is a gatekeeper
 against mistakes from testing.  Freeze testing instead.

>> Am I missing something in your (somewhat nebulous) proposal?

> Freezing unstable prevent people from uploading new upstream
> releases which desynchronizes unstable from testing and forces
> people to work with two distributions (and necessarily neglect one
> of them).

	How does this actually make testing become releaseable sooner,
 if testing is actually frozen? freeze testing, leave unstable alone,
 and create as many harder-frozen-ready-to-release candidate variants
 of testing you want.

	See, you don't really need people in power to do this: just
 create a fake-testing somewhere, and a fake-frozen, and see if things
 actually come together sooner that way.

> As soon as testing is strictly equal to unstable regarding package
> versions, testing is roughly ready for release.

	This may take forever. However, frozen-testing and
 frozen-candidate may fugue towards equivalence asymptotically.

	manoj
--
You will have many recoverable tape errors.