Re: forwarding bugs to other packages

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:14:25AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
>     Wouter> That's not possible. You can only merge bugs if /all/
>     Wouter> properties (tags, severity, package reported against, ...)
>     Wouter> are the same.
>
> Why is this?

Simple. When merging a bug, you claim that the two bugs are really the
same. They're not just related, nor are they only similar; they are the
same bug -- the problems described in both bug reports result from the
same programmer error.

Because they are the same bug, they must be equal in the BTS. The same
programmer error cannot occur in two packages at the same time, unless
they're built from the same source.

Hence, the BTS insists that their parameters are the same.

> I can open one bug against multiple packages,

Yes, but in that case the claim is that there is a bug in the
communication between, or the integration of, both packages. That's not
really the same thing. Usually, when filing bugs against multiple
packages is appropriate, the error that was made is one of communication
between two programmers.

[...no other remarks...]

--
         EARTH