Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

Wesley W. Terpstra writes:
> This slight difference in wording sounds to me like I would indeed be
> able to include prebuilt object files, so long as the package could be
> built without them. Is that correct?

I wouldn't want to see object files in the source package.

I must be able to download your source package to a machine with only Main
installed, do 'dpkg-buildpackage', and get a usable deb.  There is no
reason why doing likewise on a machine with icc installed and CC=icc could
not also produce a usable deb given the right debian/rules and makefiles.

I _think_ it would also be acceptable for you to build the debs you upload
with CC=icc.

> At this point my question is only academic; the pure-gcc in main,
> icc-prebuilt in contrib solution seems to solve my concerns just as well.

Would anyone use the pure-gcc version?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org