Re: possible mass bug filing: spamassassin 3

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> [2004.10.06.1934 +0200]:
> > After running for a little while,
> [...]
> > I wouldn't say it uses half a gig of ram. Something else is going
> > on..
>
> I had -m10 passed to spamd for 2.64. When I upgraded, I left that in
> place. I almost hosed a server that went up to load 30 immediately.
> It took me 40 minutes to get a shell, another 30 to halt postfix and
> unload SA.

How much network latency do you have?  If -m10 is helping you, you must be
waiting on TCP/IP requests like crazy.

> Now it's running at -m5 (the suggested value) and I have not had
> problems since. Of course, now I only get half the throughput, and
> my queue has not emptied for a whole day because SA is unable to
> keep up.

Fishy, fishy... find out why it is taking so much time to process your
messages that -m10 would help.  Disable non-local checks for a while, check
your DNS cache (you have one on each of your MTA and SA boxes, don't
you?)...

  Henrique Holschuh