Re: RFD: use transient /var/run (tmpfs) or not?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:12:02 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>I mounted /var/run on tmpfs to have it completely transient,
>performance boots, but mostly to wipe it out across system reboots.
>
>An issue came up:
>
>Some packages use subdirectories in /var/run and their fail to start if
>those do not exist (e.g. mysql-server). See bug #272589
>
>Imho they should. But as long as there are probably more packages where
>it's an issue, and as long as FHS is not clear about this statement, I'd
>like you to discuss this and make a decision.

A local fix would be a local init script which will create the
necessary directories in /var/run during startup - after /var/run has
been mounted, and before any services needing /var/run will be
started.

That fix would even live over package updates since the packages' init
scripts themselves can remain unchanged.

Greetings
Marc