Re: RFD: use transient /var/run (tmpfs) or not?

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 01:12:23AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
[...]
> Ideally I think that we would have a directory for each daemon that
> uses /var/run.  We would have a single process create all of them (could have
> files in /etc/var-run.d specifying the names, ownership, and permissions of
> all such directories).  Then when each daemon starts it only has permission
> to write to it's own sub-directory of /var/run.

Good idea.

I made read-only (woody based) IPsec gateway/router which boots from
USB pen drive. Instead of sysvinit I installed runit.

/var is mounted on tmpfs (rw) and one script create /var/run and
needed subdirectories.

Every daemon on that machine (racoon, sshd, ntpd and socklog) have
their own directory under /var/run