Re: How should stalin be handled on slower architectures?

> The bug report isn't about whether the package *should* be built for
> m68k and arm, it's about whether it *can* be built for m68k and arm.

True, though since it has built in the past, and in the past the only
thing that had stopped it was a lack of build time, I presumed that
might be likely here as well.  Though as Ingo's build determined,
there's someting else wrong with at least the m68k build.

>> for m68k or arm (though we have packages of the previous version for
>> both of those architectures).
>
> The packages for m68k were removed from unstable a while ago.

Ahh, right.  I just meant that previous versions have built
successfully even though they were huge and took a while.

> without finishing it.  There may be a difference in the relative power
> of smackdown and netwinder that explains this, or there may be toolchain
> differences that account for it.  OTOH, this could also be a sign of a
> regression in the stalin sources between 0.9 and 0.9+0.10alpha2.

Previously, newer versions of gcc have made the compile take much
longer, even with the same stalin source, so I thought perhaps that
might be happening this time as well.

> If the current toolchain is less forgiving than the version last
> used to build the package on arm, and it's no longer possible to
> build the package using the available build environments, we have an
> RC bug because we shouldn't ship binaries that we know we can't
> provide critical updates for.

Certainly.  I'll look in to the build problem with the current source,
but I can also see if the previous version will still build.

> If you and the arm buildd maintainers can't come to an agreement that
> lets stalin build again on this architecture, the out-of-date binaries
> will need to be removed from the archive by an ftp-master.

I haven't heard back from anyone associated with the arm buildds
AFAIK.  Are the correct contact addresses listed somewhere?  I tried
James and rmurray.

> FWIW, since the problematic source file is in fact generated by stalin,
> and is exemplary of the kind of C code stalin generates in the course of
> normal use,

I doubt that most code that people might want to compile with stalin
will be that big.  The original source for stalin is a 1.1MB Scheme
file (stalin.sc).  That's a quite a lot of Scheme code.

> I'd question how useful this package is on architectures that have a
> hard time building it.

That's basically the question I was asking.  How do we decide when a
package isn't appropriate for a given architecture, if in fact, we
think it's appropriate to decide that for the users at all.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu