Re: RFD: use transient /var/run (tmpfs) or not?

Matthew Woodcraft said on Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:45:50PM +0100:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> >On Tuesday 21 September 2004 13.37, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >
> >[directories in /var/run]
> >
> >> startup scripts in /etc/rc?.d run as root and have privileges to
> >> mkdir/chown/chmod the directory.
> >
> >There is a tendency to do everything at boot for convenience of the users=20
> >running half their system off ramdisks.
> >
> >Personally, I don't like that at all, as it slows down the boot process=20
> >unnecessarily, running checks that are unnecessary to run for 95% of the=20
> >installations.
>
> If someone is willing to go to the effort to make this work, it would
> also make it more convenient to exclude /var/run from backups.

Doing those checks at boot doesn't slow boot very much (probably not
noticably), but does help more than just the RAM disk people.  The cluster
imaging people also like it.  :)

There are also a few packages that already do this, and no-one seems to mind
much.  A quick grep of my system's init.d for mkdir shows that bind9, autofs,
devpts.sh, proftpd, and ssh all mkdir in /var/run at startup.