Re: RFD: use transient /var/run (tmpfs) or not?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:45:50PM +0100, Matthew Woodcraft wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> >On Tuesday 21 September 2004 13.37, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >
> >[directories in /var/run]
> >
> >> startup scripts in /etc/rc?.d run as root and have privileges to
> >> mkdir/chown/chmod the directory.
> >
> >There is a tendency to do everything at boot for convenience of the users=20
> >running half their system off ramdisks.
> >
> >Personally, I don't like that at all, as it slows down the boot process=20
> >unnecessarily, running checks that are unnecessary to run for 95% of the=20
> >installations.
>
> If someone is willing to go to the effort to make this work, it would
> also make it more convenient to exclude /var/run from backups.
>
> Similar work for /var/cache would be useful too, for this reason.

Probably a dh_registerrundir script for debhelper has more sense, a single init script
could then check that all needed /var/run/dir exist and create them as due.
That could also be done transparently, if packages do not create run dirs in postinst, but
add them to their dirs file, as the majority of packages, I think.
I don't know if this kind of check have sense for /var/cache, but it
could be added in the same way.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine