Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Monday 20 September 2004 08:38 am, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> > > What is wrong with it?  End-user machines should not send email
> > > directly, they should use the mail server from their ISP.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > That makes no sense.  Plenty ISP mail servers are poorly
> > configured.
>
> Yes, this is why SPAMers can not use it...

No, if they were *properly* configured, spammers couldn't use it.

> > Known to drop mail.  Deliver mail too slowly to be useful.  Force
> > users
>
> Yeah, droping all the SPAM

I'm talking from personal experience here.  Some ISPs mail servers are
so bad that they drop legitimate mail all the time, or might take 2-3
days to deliver messages that should be delivered immediately.

> > to use their e-mail address from that ISP.  Unreliable.
>
> Not right. Most ISP's allow sending with other E-Mails

But not all.  What about the people stuck on those ISPs that don't?

What about people using laptops that work on all sorts of different
networks all the time?

> Good for SPAMers ?
>
> > Why are some nodes on the Internet more deserving than others?  Why
> > do you discriminate against those with cheap Internet access?  Why
> > is a T-1 user more deserving to exchange mail with you than a
> > dialup or DSL user?
>
> For SPAMers you will get them very quickly if they use T1/E1 or
> something like this, and they can be stoped bei RIPE for example.
>
> SPAMers from Dynamic IP's are different.

Not all dialup users are spammers.  Most ISPs log which person has a
given IP at a particular time and it is trivial for them to track down
the culprit.  It's not different at all.

> Now, we know, that most SPAM does not come directly from the ADSL-
> Account owner, because most of them are infected with Viruses which
> do the SPAMjob.

Perhaps so, but again, why punish the innocent?

> Most (97%) coming directly to my address linux4michelle@freenet.de
> and around 80% of the SPAM is coming from DUL/DSL

What that doesn't measure is what percentage of legitimate mail comes
from computers on the DUL/DSL.  I know of several people in Debian that
could fall under that category.  Branden Robinson comes to mind
immediately.

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming