Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

Hi,

Enrico Zini dijo [Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 03:53:20PM +0200]:
> (...)
> And since I feel the "we can do it with wishlist bugs" axe about to fall
> down on me, I'll point out what ideas I think we could get from there:
>
>  - We have no way to create "inquires"[1]: if I can't understand how to
>    do something in an application, it would be nice to file an inquiry:
>    maybe the feature is not there (so it would become a wishlist bug),
>    maybe it's not documented (so it would become a wishlist bug), maybe
>    it's there and is documented (so I would probe the user a bit more to
>    see if we have a usability problem or a PEBKAC).  Inquiries could be
>    filed, why not, automatically Cc-ed to debian-user, so that the
>    bigger user community can help address them, and the package
>    maintainer has a track of what's going on with his/her package.

...I don't think an 'inquiry' should be stored forever in the BTS (or
ITS, or *TS). If a user is asking on how to do something or whether
something is at all possible, I think correspondence should go
directly to <pkgname>@packages.d.o - Maybe after a couple of mails,
the maintainer will turn this communication into a bug if needed. Yes,
maybe <pkgname>@p.d.o could have an almost-auto-Cc: to debian-user,
but I am not convinced about it.

>  - Tracking "features" differently than bugs (wishlist bugs are still
>    bugs)[2], with the possibility of sorting wishlist items and random
>    feedback into "feature" trackers[3], to organize and aggregate the
>    various feedback into proper work plans, instead of keeping huge,
>    unmanageable lists of wishlist bugs sitting around to clutter the bug
>    report.

Yes, this would require a nomenclature change. Maybe the BTS would
become a Request Tracking System... I agree that Wishlist bugs can be
overused, and that feature requests deserve being saved in something
akin to our current BTS... But maybe it is just worth an extra
category and not more...

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450