Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:20:08AM -0400, Chris Anderson wrote:
> > Based on anecdotal "evidence" from lecturers, and friends
> > who've experienced it.

Japan is a country like many others, it has its amount of dumbasses.

> If I recall the japanese courses I took some time again, the phrase is
> "amerika-jin" and it translates  to "American" (technically 'American
> nationality' iirc). I don't know any japanese people who consider it a
> drop in replacement for 'caucasian'. If that was true I doubt there
> would be words like doitsu-jin (German) or igirisu-jin (British), note
> the -jin suffix.

I'd say the usual generic term to designate "caucasian" might be 欧米人
(oubeijin), or 白人 (hakujin).

The first one means litterally man (人) from Europe (欧, being the short
version for 欧羅巴, itself being the way you write Europe, or rather
ヨーロッパ (yo-roppa) in chinese characters) and America (米, being the
short version for 亜米利加, itself being the way you write America, or
rather アメリカ (amerika) in chinese characters ; america, in this case,
designating the USA, not the whole continent)

The second one means litterally white (白) man (人).

Some japanese people would assume you speak english if you're caucasian
(or more generally, not japanese looking), but i have (more than) some
doubts (dumbasses apart) about some assuming you'd be "american".

Mike