Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 09:11:21AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > > Nice evasion. I asked a bona-fide Canadian if he was American. He said
> > > North American.
> >
> > How is that an evasion?
>
> Brian Nelson wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 05:24:21PM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > > I am asking if a Canadian told you that he was also an American (even
> > > though he was not from the USA, and had never been in the USA, and
> > > exactly none of his ancestors were from or ever in the USA) would you
> > > argue with him and claim that he was wrong?
> >
> > Heh.  As if any self-respecting Canadian would *ever* refer to
> > themselves as "American"...
>

> The evasion is simple: I asked a direct question. I failed to get a
> direct answer. The answer I got was an evasion. It was not even a proper
> mu[1].

Well, the whole point of my mail was that questions like this don't
matter.  If Canadians went around calling themselves "American", then
yes, the term "American" would be ambiguous.  However, this simply
doesn't happen.  Canadians call themselves "Canadian", and maybe, but
very rarely, "North American".  The only "Americans" are those from the
USA.

Really, the only continent whose inhabitants are often grouped together
in a single word is Europe[1].  Worrying about the other continents is
really just pointless.

[1] OK, ignoring the bizarre and idiotic PC term "Asian" (formerly
"Orientals") which in the US has come to refer to those with ancestors
in Eastern Asian countries.

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!