Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:36:09AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > There have been talk behind the scenes that Goswin is an "unwanted
> > person" for some obscure reason (an old story dealing with
> > EagleLinux where he was involved in), but that story was years ago
> > and I saw no reason why that should be a reason to not to use his
> > CPU power.
> 	You got anything to back this allegation up?

I mailed the DPL and the frontdesk about my pov of EagleLinux.

>  Who is this
>  mysterious entity gabbing about Goswin in secret? (I am not even sure
>  what EagleLinux  is or was, or what it has to do with Debian).

So, when you don't know about that story, this is no reason to warm it up
then in detail. It was just an example that the decisions of the DAM are
sometimes very questionable and maybe even based on wrong facts. (Yes, some
people might call this "not trustworthy" then.)

> > In parallel I tried to get other m68k machines online and succeeded
> > there.  I had seriously no problems with James Troup - until I began
> > to work together with Goswin on the buildd front. Since then it was
> > difficult to get new buildds added to the ACLs for wanna-build. At
> > the same time other people managed to get their new buildds added
> > within days, whereas my buildds were stucked for *weeks*. Coincidence?
> 	Umm, I seem to recall you telling the buildd admins in Debian
>  that heir security concerns were "silly". I would think that may have
>  something to do with it too.

Of course you can pick up some single words out of context and give them a
new one.
It is silly to make a fuss about long time published user/pass on the web,
especially because I've contacted him weeks or months before about my
security concerns that these user/pass are publically available on
buildd.d.o. His reaction was "that's no problem". And later on he complained
about that because he heard from a third party, have shared some secret
information, which was just plain wrong. When he would have contacted me
directly and personally instead of speaking via a third person, he would
have obtained the correct facts what happened.
How do you call this if not silly, eh?

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/