Re: shipping unneeded config templates?

[Bernd Eckenfels]
> I agree, however I wonder why nobody argues against that. I can
> think of a standpoint where it makes sense, that it is good to have
> all config files which are interpreted to be generated and possibly
> filled with some comments including samples, pointer to usage and
> documentation.

The problem with including dummy configuration files is that it will
probably give upgrade problems, so it is not something wanted in
general.

On the other hand, I would love to have a way to find out which
packages are using a given file, generated on the fly or not.  That
way, I could do dpkg --using /etc/default/*, and get a list of
packages with files in /etc/default/.

This isn't possible at the moment, as there is no way to assosiate
"extra" files with a package. :(