Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

Am 2004-08-30 14:42:59, schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes:

> Instead of a diff may I suggest sorting Packages in the Packages by
> date of change, i.e. add new entries to the end. We have many packages
> that don't change for a year and those entries would drift to the top.

Agree

> Now how does that help? The Packages file would only have minimal
> changes at the start (hopefully none in the first half or more) and
> big changes concentrated at the end. Rsyncing the Packages file would
> be improved greatly.

Du you have already tried to take a "Packages" file in /var/lib/apt/lists
and the download (!!!) the "Packages" file from the next day...

Now filter all Packages which are new or changed... and you will get a
small "diff"

Attach this file with 'cat' to the "Packages" file in /var/lib/apt/lists

and ich you try to install one of the changed packages, apt get will
detect the TWO entries for the same package during "check depends"
and choose the newer one automaticly...

Tested with WOOD 3.0r2 and all security updates

> One could also write a server (cgi script?) that, given the last entry
> in the clients Packages file, sends all entries (new packages) after
> that entry. The client would then add that to its Packages file (and
> possibly remove the obsolete entries).

:-)

> > Or a Packages file with the normal Headers and one
> > for the Desription...
>
> And the description file would be localized.

They are already localized "Packages" files, but they are rather old

But what about a Database which hold all packages and its translations
in one big table and then "subscribed" Translators can update Packages
"Online" ?

A database of this kind is very easyly to maintain...

> MfG
>         Goswin

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi