Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes:

> Am 2004-08-30 14:42:59, schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes:
>
>> Instead of a diff may I suggest sorting Packages in the Packages by
>> date of change, i.e. add new entries to the end. We have many packages
>> that don't change for a year and those entries would drift to the top.
>
> Agree
>
>> Now how does that help? The Packages file would only have minimal
>> changes at the start (hopefully none in the first half or more) and
>> big changes concentrated at the end. Rsyncing the Packages file would
>> be improved greatly.
>
> Du you have already tried to take a "Packages" file in /var/lib/apt/lists
> and the download (!!!) the "Packages" file from the next day...
>
> Now filter all Packages which are new or changed... and you will get a
> small "diff"
>
> Attach this file with 'cat' to the "Packages" file in /var/lib/apt/lists
>
> and ich you try to install one of the changed packages, apt get will
> detect the TWO entries for the same package during "check depends"
> and choose the newer one automaticly...
>
> Tested with WOOD 3.0r2 and all security updates

Execept for the small drawback that having multiple versions of a
package breaks the automatic selection of unique provides on "apt-get
build-dep" (patch in bts). But you already have that effect if you
have sarge and sid I think.

Just a minor drawback most people probably won't even notice.

MfG
        Goswin