Re: ,deb's follow Packages files to mirrors: nuts or what?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:02:20AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 07:08:05PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:41:26AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > > Isn't it nuts that the Packages files get to the mirrors before the
> > > .debs do?
>
> > Not particularly.  I can see you think it's inconvenient for YOU.
>
> You don't think our mirrors being broken for 3 or more hours every day
> is a problem?  How in the world could this be an ok situation?

I think that it would be a horrific problem if it affected a stable
release.  Does it?  No.  Does it affect a stable release at all?  No.

Does it affect a significant enough percentage of the packages in testing
or unstable for it to be a serious problem?  No.

What about the reverse situation?  If you update the Packages file last,
then the *user* has a Packages file that may not match the contents of the
mirror, rather than the mirror having one that doesn't match.  And now he
STILL can't install anything, and the mirror is claiming that the
out-of-date Packages file he has is the most current one.

Apologies if the mirror scripts already deal with files being obsoleted.

Use of testing or unstable implies a certain level of intelligence.  Next
you're going to say that we should do something to make sure that a user
doesn't have to use 'apt-get update' to make sure he has the latest
Packages file before trying to install something, since, after all, that
case would cause breakage as well.

--
 Marc Wilson |     All warranty and guarantee clauses become null and
 msw@cox.net |     void upon payment of invoice.