Re: There, I think I got it

Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> writes:

> It's people's own choice to ignore a subject, and you shouldn't
> _intentionally_ circumvent that.

They can just as easily continue to ignore it, if that's what they're
doing.

> Common mail conventions? Threads == grouping related stuff together,
> intentionally splitting related stuff is just... weird, and also makes
> it much harder after the fact for people who ARE interested, to find
> this related post. Imagine someone searching the archives, thinking 'O,
> I want to know how this story ends', but cannot find it because you
> started a new thread? Breaking threads has more disadvantages than
> advantages.

It has both advantages and disadvantages, and there is no clearly
right answer--except that threading is serving multiple functions at
once, and we might be able to deal better if the different functions
were implemented by different features instead of all the same
feature.

But merely because something is weird isn't a very good reason for
saying that it's bad.  A great deal of social progress has happened
because weird people refused to just go away!

Not that I think my minority position here is about anything so grand
as important social progress.  But still, there are arguments on both
sides, and people can and will have their reasons on either side.

Thomas