Sarge, kernel-image, and i586-SMP

I've been frustrated for a while by the fact that debian doesn't seem to
have a kernel to support my router (which is a dual pentium-MMX)
out-of-the-box.  I also notice that this seems to still be true (so far)
for sarge.  While it is no big deal to roll my own kernel with
make-kpkg, it is really a pain to do so every time a new fault is found
with the kernel - which has happened a lot lately.

Is there a reason why SMP support is only included for 686 and AMD
processors?  Am I missing something?  Is there something I can do to
help change this for sarge?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene@cs.binghamton.edu>
GPG public key: http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~sgreene/gpg.key.txt