Re: Sarge, kernel-image, and i586-SMP

Steaphan Greene wrote:

>I've been frustrated for a while by the fact that debian doesn't seem to
>have a kernel to support my router (which is a dual pentium-MMX)
>out-of-the-box.  I also notice that this seems to still be true (so far)
>for sarge.  While it is no big deal to roll my own kernel with
>make-kpkg, it is really a pain to do so every time a new fault is found
>with the kernel - which has happened a lot lately.
>
>Is there a reason why SMP support is only included for 686 and AMD
>processors?  Am I missing something?  Is there something I can do to
>help change this for sarge?  Any info would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

kernel-image-2.4-686-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV SMP.
kernel-image-2.4-k7-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on AMD K7 SMP.
kernel-image-2.6-686-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.6 on
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV SMP.
kernel-image-2.6-k7-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.6 on AMD K7 SMP.

There is no more 586 kernel though. Not even the regular one. The 386
version is quite slower on a Pentium MMX than an optimized one. Anyway,
I also had to roll my own kernel for the 586-mmx (2.6.7). I don't think
it is too big of a deal though since 586 and lower machines are not too
common anymore.

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com