Re: amd64 and sarge
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:27:54PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> I must admit I didn't study your proposal closely enough to form an
> opinion of its technical merits, but as testing base will freeze the
> day after tomorrow, it isn't very realistic to hope that this modified
> dpkg will make it. Thus, the biarch amd64 port won't make it either,
> leaving Sarge with no amd64 support whatsoever.
At this point, if amd64 makes it into Sarge at all, it's going to be in
a "pre-release" state. In other words, while it may mostly function it
won't be up to the quality standard of the rest of the system.
That's too bad, but there's not much I can do about it.
> Your proposal wouldn't be much useful for Sarge+1 either, as the
> porting team seems to have already decided that multiarch is the
> way it shall be done. As I understand it, anyway.
My proposal does not conflict with multiarch.
That said, everybody in debian is going to have to agree to multiarch
before it gets implemented properly. It's a fairly massive undertaking.