Re: MPlayer

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> debian-legal overlooked the mplayer source

While technically correct (I myself looked at it) no one (to my
knowledge) from debian-legal (whatever that means) has done a thorough
examination of the source.

I personally stopped after finding a single GPL issue in under 5
minutes of looking,[1] and then spent a numerous messages attempting
to explain to upstream why they needed to conform to the terms of the
GPL. [It's possible that this issue was resolved already... I'm just
explaining why there is a bit of reluctance on the part of people of
-legal to wander through the package and really vet it.]

See also the most recent thread where this was brought up on

Regardless, as the package is in NEW, presumably ftpmaster would be
the people that the *maintainer*[3] should be in (polite!) contact
with to help resolve any outstanding issues. If ftpmaster needs it, I
believe they can request someone on -legal go through and vette the
work, or locate any remaining issues.

Don Armstrong

1: http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20030126.024627.d4d99298.html
2: http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20040316.040309.0057e2bb.html
3: Lest someone feel the need to create another amd64 style incendiary
It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is
 -- Andrew Suffield in 20030403211305.GD29698@doc.ic.ac.uk