Re: MPlayer

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> debian-legal overlooked the mplayer source

While technically correct (I myself looked at it) no one (to my
knowledge) from debian-legal (whatever that means) has done a thorough
examination of the source.

I personally stopped after finding a single GPL issue in under 5
minutes of looking,[1] and then spent a numerous messages attempting
to explain to upstream why they needed to conform to the terms of the
GPL. [It's possible that this issue was resolved already... I'm just
explaining why there is a bit of reluctance on the part of people of
-legal to wander through the package and really vet it.]

See also the most recent thread where this was brought up on
-legal.[2]

Regardless, as the package is in NEW, presumably ftpmaster would be
the people that the *maintainer*[3] should be in (polite!) contact
with to help resolve any outstanding issues. If ftpmaster needs it, I
believe they can request someone on -legal go through and vette the
work, or locate any remaining issues.

Don Armstrong

1: http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20030126.024627.d4d99298.html
2: http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20040316.040309.0057e2bb.html
3: Lest someone feel the need to create another amd64 style incendiary
fest...
--
It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu