Re: MPlayer

Carlos Laviola wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:59:34 +0200, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

Forgotten somthing...

Am 2004-07-19 19:45:02, schrieb Greg Folkert:

If you have Windows installed on your machine, you are just using
already installed files on your system, though in fact by Windows...
doesn't matter.

There is a tool "cabextract" or somthing like this...

And if "mplayer" comes only with free codecs, there can be a
function or script which can extract the right codecs directly
from the original Windows CD's.

So it is not impossibel to get "mplayer" in Debian...
But Upstream dont like this idea I think...

As mentioned before in the thread, mplayer can't be included in Debian
because large portions of code it relies upon, even if they're
released under a free license(http://ffmpeg.sf.net) are based on, or
similar to, patented algorithms, which makes it a problem for us. It's
the same thing that keeps LAME out of Debian, as far as I know.

Then please remove all mp3players [1] and Xine [2] too, as they also use patented algorithms.

debian-legal overlooked the mplayer source

Its stupid to take mplayer out of debian where other software with the same problem is outside. I don't ask to remove them, but to be consistent. The mplayer team spent much work on getting mplayer DFSG Free, somebody should honor this work.

[1] http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
formorer@lisa:~$ apt-get source libxine1
formorer@lisa:~/xine-lib-1-rc5$ grep -r ffmpeg * | wc -l
any questions ?
[3] See the mplayer reloaded thread

Alexander "formorer" Wirt	KeyID: BC7D020A
EMail: formorer@formorer.de	ICQ: 28651245