Re: MPlayer

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:59:34 +0200, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> Forgotten somthing...
>
> Am 2004-07-19 19:45:02, schrieb Greg Folkert:
>
> >If you have Windows installed on your machine, you are just using
> >already installed files on your system, though in fact by Windows...
> >doesn't matter.
>
> There is a tool "cabextract" or somthing like this...
>
> And if "mplayer" comes only with free codecs, there can be a
> function or script which can extract the right codecs directly
> from the original Windows CD's.
>
> So it is not impossibel to get "mplayer" in Debian...
> But Upstream dont like this idea I think...

As mentioned before in the thread, mplayer can't be included in Debian
because large portions of code it relies upon, even if they're
released under a free license(http://ffmpeg.sf.net) are based on, or
similar to, patented algorithms, which makes it a problem for us. It's
the same thing that keeps LAME out of Debian, as far as I know.

--
Carlos Laviola
carlos.laviola@gmail.com