On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:35:03PM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:17:56AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > > Supply *facts*, not hot air. You need volunteers? Then tell the public
> > > what kind of volunteers and for what tasks do you need some.
> > > Without this you're looking for slaves that do what you want them to do,
> > > not for volunteers.
> > Now, see, that's where you're wrong. We need volunteers. Volunteers
> > that decide for themselves what they do, that don't need to be told.
> > That find out where the problems lie, and go chase them. Fix them. That
> > believe in the idea we're all chasing. They don't need to be told those
> > things -- not by other volunteers, not by bosses, and certainly not by
> > job descriptions.
>
> Read the mail from Oliver Elphick.
>
> > Yeah, we have a project leader, but he doesn't actually have to lead; if
> > he had, we wouldn't be as good as we are.
>
> Really, are we "good"? Do we get things done? Did we release on time?

Yes (if we weren't, why would you want to use our distribution?),
yes (look at the amount of work going into packaging, work on
debian-installer, bug fixing, bug reporting, every day, then try to say
that we don't get things done.  We might not get your particular pet
things done as fast as you demand, but we do get things done), no, we're
definitely late with Sarge.

Now, the question we need to ask here is: will adding another
architecture when we're close to a freeze really help getting Sarge out
as soon as possible?  I doubt that.  Will this discussion help bring
Sarge out as soon as possible?  Very unlikely.  It's more likely to make
people think "Gah, I'm tired of Debian right now, I'll do the needed
fixes tomorrow", only to find that tomorrow brings more of this totally
untimely rubbish.

it's not the FTP-team, the release master, or the debian-installer team
that holds up the release of Sarge.  It's the "Oh, there's a new version
of package x out, I better upload it to the archives now with a high
priority so that it gets into Sarge"-mentality, and the fact that more
effort is spent on flaming here than on fixing bugs and documenting
already existing features.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //