On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:16:25PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:16:07 +0200, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> said:
> >

> >> Are E-Mail requests answered in a timely and polite fashion?
> >
> > 	Would depend on the email. I tend to ignore people who use
> >  invective in emails sent to me.
> >
> >> Communication with other parts of the project is a _VITAL_ part of
> >> proper function of a delegate body.
> >
> > 	Communication is a two way street. Calling people names is a
> >  sure fire way of not achieving communication.
>
> Ignoring polite questions is a sure way to get asked again and again
> in a less and less polite fashion.

You know, if you don't get an answer on your first three polite
attempts, it generally means you won't get an answer from that person.
Acting childish won't help.  Ask someone else instead.  Repeat that
process until you get the answer you needed.  If this happens
repeatedly, try to consider the fact that your using an altogether
wrong approach.  If a lot of people ignore you, it might be that you
suffer from lack of communication skills, not the other way around.

You can always get attention by doing something stupid.  It's almost
never the kind of attention you want, though, at least not in the long
run[0].  For instance, right now, most people that read debian-devel
would probably recognize your name, however the mental image connected
to it is probably annoying twit, rather than a helpful person and
talented developer.  The fact that I've seen the positive side before
stops me from labeling you as a twit, but consider someone who just
jumps into this thread; would you really like them to get, as a first
impression, that you ask again and again in a less and less polite
fashion, and feel that this is somehow ok if the person you ask doesn't
respond?

Regards: David Weinehall

[0] Setting yourself on fire will probably make people listen to you
while you're burning, but the only ones listening to you after that (if
you survive) are people in white coats, asking questions like "What was
your childhood like?".
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //