David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:16:25PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Ignoring polite questions is a sure way to get asked again and again
>> in a less and less polite fashion.
>
> You know, if you don't get an answer on your first three polite
> attempts, it generally means you won't get an answer from that person.
> Acting childish won't help.  Ask someone else instead.  Repeat that
> process until you get the answer you needed.  If this happens
> repeatedly, try to consider the fact that your using an altogether
> wrong approach.  If a lot of people ignore you, it might be that you
> suffer from lack of communication skills, not the other way around.

Done that, been there. Even asked other people to ask the questions.

Which makes me think it's not just my poor communication skills is that
I usualy have little problems getting answeres from people outside the
problem group and several other people have the same problem also just
with the problem group.

The common element being the problem group and not me.

On the other hand there are other people saing they have no problems
but I don't know them as well as the people that do.

> You can always get attention by doing something stupid.  It's almost
> never the kind of attention you want, though, at least not in the long
> run[0].  For instance, right now, most people that read debian-devel
> would probably recognize your name, however the mental image connected
> to it is probably annoying twit, rather than a helpful person and
> talented developer.  The fact that I've seen the positive side before
> stops me from labeling you as a twit, but consider someone who just
> jumps into this thread; would you really like them to get, as a first
> impression, that you ask again and again in a less and less polite
> fashion, and feel that this is somehow ok if the person you ask doesn't
> respond?

Hopefully they read what I write and make their own decision.

And hopefully they also scroll back and look what/who started the
thread or main questions.

In reality many probably don't. :(

> Regards: David Weinehall
>
> [0] Setting yourself on fire will probably make people listen to you
> while you're burning, but the only ones listening to you after that (if
> you survive) are people in white coats, asking questions like "What was
> your childhood like?".

MfG
        Goswin