Re: AMD64 for sarge [<rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 09:26 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:01:51AM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>> > According to Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader:
>> >
>> > AMD64 hardware sales are huge and growing.  Its CPUs are made by both
>> > AMD and Intel.  It's the upward-compatible upgrade path for the single
>> > most popular computer architecture *ever*.
>> >
>> > But Debian can't accept the port because we don't have a PORT POLICY.
>> >
>> > I think there's only one possible comment: "WTF?!"
>>
>> But we have a situation here where the amd64 port name was arbitrarily
>> changed in dpkg (without any public discussion first);
>>
> I'm not sure how this is relevant to this discussion about ftpmasters; I
> made that decision, I am not an ftpmaster and have no desire to become
> one.
>
> It wasn't "changed" either, it was simply introduced in dpkg with a
> different architecture name; that was intended to be the *start* of a
> discussion period (the amd64 porters would be unaffected since they were
> already using a forked dpkg) -- it could've been easily changed before
> the release of sarge to something else after calm discussion.
>
> Instead the children involved with the port decided to throw a tantrum
> and believed the best way to get what they wanted was to be as loud and
> insulting as possible.

Thats just not true.

I personally begged you on irc to not use x86-64 but to stick with the
name used in the send in patch and afaik already commited to cvs
_before_ you added that name to the sid deb. You knew beforehand that
the name would be probelmatic and would be objected and ignored the
will of the debian-amd64 port as expressed in the patch we send in.

If anyone escalated the problem it was you.

>> amd64 is more mature than even some released architectures
>>
> This might be true of the architecture, unfortunately it seems to be the
> exact opposite for most of the people involved with it.

.oO( And the ctte gave us right so you loose. :-P Na na nana na. )

If you run out of arguments start insulting people. Always good in a
flamwar.

> Scott
> (not an ftpmaster; nothing to do with ftpmasters; doesn't look, smell or
> taste like an ftpmaster; doesn't speak, sing or dance for ftpmasters;
> Womble's friend)
> --
> Have you ever, ever felt like this?
> Had strange things happen?  Are you going round the twist?

MfG
        Goswin