Re: AMD64 for sarge [<rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

According to Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader:
>   - A general port inclusion policy: there are a number of pending ports
>     (s390x, powerp64 and various BSD ports), and therefore it is
>     important to have a clear policy saying which criteria a new port
>     has to fulfil.

AMD64 hardware sales are huge and growing.  Its CPUs are made by both
AMD and Intel.  It's the upward-compatible upgrade path for the single
most popular computer architecture *ever*.

But Debian can't accept the port because we don't have a PORT POLICY.

I think there's only one possible comment: "WTF?!"

Can you imagine -- can anyone imagine -- that this POLICY, when it is
created, won't allow the AMD64 port?!  That would be insane!  So, just
accept the fricking port and *then* write the policy!
--
Chip Salzenberg            - a.k.a. -             <chip@pobox.com>
                  Poetry mode ... is the default.