Re: AMD64 for sarge [<rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 12:43, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to Andrew Suffield:
> > On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:25:12AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > > Of the three points, I (as one of the folks involved with the BSD ports,
> > > at least) am quite willing to grant that amd64 is worthy of special-case
> > > treatment because of what it is, and where it's going.
> >
> > Do I really have to remind people that this was said of ia64, too?
>
> So ia64 is a dud; anyone who wasn't in Intel marketing (or drank their
> kool-aid) could see it.  You're not suggesting that amd64 is going to
> run aground like ia64 did....?

Well, considering that the AMD64 (Opteron) has already outsold ALL
versions[1] of the Itanium Combined. Intel tried to use enough shellac
to polish that turd.

I dunno what do you think?

Doesn't look that way to me.

[1] That means both Itanium and Itanium2 at all processors speeds.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup