Re: AMD64 for sarge [Re: <rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

Le mer, 07/07/2004 à 10:35 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz a écrit :
> > In summary: The pure64 amd64 port doesn't support ia32 in the same way
> > other vendors do, or all that well in general really.  It's not meant
> > to.  The /lib vs. /lib64 hack is bad and wrong and will be going away
> > in favor of multiarch, a much cleaner and more elegant solution.
>
> The rest of the universe appears to disagree with the Debian AMD64
> porters on this issue, including existing Linux distributions and
> commercial Unices.

The rest of the universe made a move towards lib64 while already
existing setups (namely Debian ia64) didn't use it.

> The whole time you've been discussing this I've been wondering how you
> can make a value judgement with such limited view.  There's a lot of
> benefit to doing it the way other people do.  Has it actually been
> discussed with any other distributors or any standards body?

Did the other distributors discuss with us before starting with the
lib64 idea?

On a more practical note, lib64 being a symlink doesn't affect all
programs that don't set a RPATH. Thus we can support quite a large
subset of existing ia32 software, without claiming LSB compliance for
ia32, which you can easily achieve anyway by installing a i386
distribution (or a chroot).