Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Miles Bader wrote:
Whatever; French != Japanese.  Indeed, they in some sense represent
opposite ends of the spectrum -- Japanese are notably enthusiastic about
adopting foreign words in a very ad-hoc way, whereas French are famous
for being, um, anti-non-French.

You're mixing up between French and Canadian.

I suspect that Microsoft actually did think about this issue BTW; e.g.,
the error messages &c on Japanese Windows are not unnaturally full of
transliterated English words.  Probably this process was not perfect,
especially in the beginning, and early computer adopters probably had a
much broader knowledge of English than the average person, but by now a
precedent has been established -- computer users are _used_ to these
terms, and would probably be more confused if they changed.

In the case of "My Documents", "My Computer", and especially the transliteration of "My", this is a new stuff from Windows XP. We can't say it's an old term people are used to. And I insist, most japanese people don't have a clue of what マイ can be (毎?枚?).

Mike