Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>> When I read French articles in magazines with untranslated "kernel",
>> "driver", "device" and so on words, I have to translated them in French
>> mentally so I would prefer to read the whole article in English, or in
>> French but not with thoses mixed things.
>
> I basically agree with Nico, at least for written language.
>
> When it comes to spoken language, things vary a lot:
>
> -I most often use "driver" than "pilote"
> -I very rarely "kernel" but most often "noyau"
> -I never use "device" but "périphérique"
>
> However, we certainly agree that we translate "a device driver in the
> kernel" by "un pilote de périphérique dans le noyau" in all our work.

Things seem far less clear in Japanese -- I don't know how a Japanese
person thinks about such terms, since I am not Japanese, but they
certainly _use_ English transliterations for computer terms quite
liberally in Japanese documents (I'm talking about documents written by
Japanese, for Japanese, and not translations of english documents), even
when perfectly good Japanese terms exist.  Like I said in my earlier
message, I can't see any particular pattern to it.

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....