Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> schrieb:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>> Whatever; French != Japanese.  Indeed, they in some sense represent
>> opposite ends of the spectrum -- Japanese are notably enthusiastic about
>> adopting foreign words in a very ad-hoc way, whereas French are famous
>> for being, um, anti-non-French.
>
> You're mixing up between French and Canadian.

I don't know wheter French people are being anti-non-French, but also in
Germany they are for sure famous for being anti-non-French. They have
(or had?) a law that requires radio stations to play a certain amount of
french songs, they have an academie francaise that guards the cleanness
of the language, and they invent french terms much more often than we
germans do. The examples that surprise Germans most are probably the
inverted abbreviations (OTAN, SIDA etc.) which we just take as they are
(NATO and AIDS), although the "correct" german abbreviations would be
NAVO and EIDS. That's probably not unique to french, but it's the french
who are famous for this. Germans, on the other hand, like to use english
terms, it's simply cool - so cool that the even use "english" terms that
do not exist in english, namely "handy" for a cellular phone.

The francophone canadians, OTOH, don't have any rumor associated, "we"
simply don't know about them.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie