Re: updating a package with upstream cvs snapshot

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 07:32, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> >     Ludovic> cscvs seams promising... but I can't make it to work :-(
> >
> > I assume you have already filled a bug report?
>
> Yes, bug #256921.

I'll look at that this weekend.

> I Cc: the bug and I think we should continue the discussion there.
>
> >     Ludovic> $ cscvs cache -b
> >     Ludovic> cvs [log aborted]: received broken pipe signal
> >
> > This could be the problem here: it would look like cvs aborted
> > prematurely, if so, why? Did you push Ctrl+C?
>
> I don't think the "received broken pipe signal" is the cause of the
> problem but the consequence.
>
> "cscvs cache -b" is, in fact, executing "cvs -q rlog 'pcsc-perl'"
> (pcsc-perl is the name of my CVS project).
>
> I can have a "broken pipe signal" very easily. For example:
>   $ cvs -q rlog pcsc-perl | head

cscvs in fact uses rlog twice. the first time it simply probes for the
repository path (pserver can return different paths in log and rlog
output), to normalise it's path generation.

> > Ideally there should be a verbose option which will print the full
> > command line of the CVS command line, not sure it exists though. I
> > suspect it is just "cvs rlog" operation with some parameters though.
>
> strace(1) is fine for that. Even if a --verbose would be better.

agreed :]. The version thats packaged in debian, IIRC, is verbose by
default.

Rob